Born and raised in Cleveland, Charna is extremely proud of her hometown and its many civic treasures, including its world-class museums, orchestra, art galleries, live theater venues, and culinary tastes and destinations.
Her personal passions and interests include:
- Spending time with family, including her two children: a strategic analyst in Cleveland, and a masters candidate in Baltimore.
- Power walking – 4 to 8 miles a day
- On the Rise, a quaint neighborhood bakery on Fairmount Boulevard in Cleveland Heights, Ohio, with a yummy sticky bun she considers the “best carbohydrate I have found anywhere in the world!”
- The Park Synagogue, designed by Erich Mendelsohn and led by her favorite Rabbi, Joshua Hoffer Skoff
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in downtown Cleveland, designed by I. M. Pei
- The Cleveland Museum of Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art and Severance Hall , the home of the Cleveland Orchestra, all in Cleveland’s University Circle area
- Touring world class contemporary art collections at the Cleveland Clinic and Progressive Insurance
- Taking art classes at the Cleveland Institute of Art
- Live theater – in Cleveland’s Playhouse Square, the country’s largest performing arts center outside of New York, and more experimental work at Cleveland Public Theater
- Re-reading the classics in the Books that Change the World series at Notre Dame College
- Her favorite Cleveland chefs: including Doug Katz of Fire at Shaker Square, and Jonathan Sawyer of Greenhouse Tavern on Cleveland’s new downtown “food street.”
- Lilly’s of Tremont, a talented and unique chocolatier located in Cleveland’s historic-turned-trendy Tremont neighborhood
- Humor, especially email “news” from Shaker Heights native and college classmate Andy Borowitz who authors The Borowitz Report in The New Yorker
- The school she attended, Laurel School, a nationally recognized, college preparatory, independent day school for girls, kindergarten through grade 12, located in Shaker Heights, Ohio
- Playing paddle tennis on Cleveland’s coldest winter days.
- Fashion, especially sharp shoes and Cleveland’s Project Runway designer, Valerie Mayen
- Coming home after traveling to her other favorite cities - the Big Apple, the Windy City and her other “homeland” of Israel
Some of Charna’s Miami favorites include:
- Spending time at her other “Sherman Shores” in Key Biscayne, FL
- Attending Art Basel Miami
- Visiting the new Perez Museum, designed by Herzog and de Meuron
- Attending the Miami Open
- Hitting South Beach, and visiting her Great Uncle’s hotel: The Clevelander!
- Walking the beach of Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park
- Strolling Lincoln Mall
- Dinner beachside at the Ritz Cantina
- Visiting her friend, Jesse Brody’s, contemporary furniture store: Circle Art
- Having dreamy drinks on the rooftop of Juvia
- Eating at her favorite homemade pasta joint: Via Emilia 9
- Shabbos dinners with her Florida cousins
- Touring Art Deco icons, including the Fontainebleau